The second edition of #FridayFive is now up as a Soundcloud playlist here:
- I first met Anastasia Antoinette while helping out the talented ladies at Ayosolo TV during a Q&A with the Texas-born and now D.C.-based singer/songwriter. On her ‘EP’ “I Still Don’t Know the Words,” Anastasia effortlessly glides through jazz, funk, and edm-inspired instrumentals.
- Toyomansi, formerly Dylijens, flips and re-flips Juvenile’s “Back That Ass Up” and Jay-Z’s “Excuse Me Miss” into a head-nodder that ends way too early.
- Sir E.U follows up the acclaimed “We Back” with 23, unleashing even more flows over disorienting and hypnotic bangers from himself, Ghostie and more.
- Yoshi, one of my favorite Baltimore club producers, outfits Wiz Khalifa’s “Taylor Gang” with an aggressive bass line and staccato-like vocal samples. I hope we get a download of this soon!
- Dizzy Gordo, of CHESS Team, links with Rico Nasty, who has been making a name for herself with a more playful side of trap music, for “Trap Line,” a perfect track for this (unsually) warm November.